Well casting day finally arrived and it was a success!
Had a fab weekend as the dog plaque cast came out trouble free. I’ve cast 8 this weekend (including a master cast and test piece) It’s the reason I had my breakfast toast at 4pm today. Just waiting for some wall hangers to arrive then its all systems go. I also need a new respirator for casting!
Spent some of my bank holiday sculpting a figurine of my late dog in her favourite spot… the empty bath, here in her “DON’T TURN THE LIGHT ON I’M SLEEPING!” pose.
The basic shape is more or less complete, detail to follow. Now this is supposed to be a caricature, I just need to keep reminding myself of that and not go too heavy on the realism, if I haven’t already! (It’s a hard habit to break).
I want to do a realistic full body and bust to follow.
I’ve not used polymer clay before as I normally make a mould to cast pieces so use wax/clay or grey clay to model with, but as I’m doing some one-offs I thought it was the ideal time to try it out rather than making a waste mould.
I’ve been given some old garden ornaments to spruce up. They are the Garden Creatures set I made in the mid 90’s so they’ve been out in the elements for about 20 years now, fingers crossed they still look like the same garden creatures by the time I’ve finished.
I’d quite like to make some new garden ornaments sometime, I keep getting design ideas… Hmm, now remembering my cement burnt, skin stripped, finger tips. Now there are protective gloves, I know this… but I don’t like them, so will continue to complain about sore, chemically burnt, finger tips.